BFCI Process Overview and Documents
The aim of the Baby Friendly Community Initiative (BFCI) documents for Aotearoa New Zealand is to:
- Increase the percentage of babies that are breastfed
- Increase the duration of exclusive breastfeeding, and
- Sustain breastfeeding beyond six months alongside the introduction of appropriate, adequate and safe complementary foods
You can become BFCI accredited as an individual health worker, as a service or as a grouping of services.
Baby Friendly Accreditation for Lead Maternity Carers
Baby Friendly Accreditation for Individual Health Workers
- Overview of the process
- BFCI getting started and process
- Register of intent
- BFCI self-appraisal questionnaire
- Action plan
A full set of the BFCI documents is available from NZBA. Please contact us on [email protected]
Please note: not all points are applicable to all service providers. It is therefore important to discuss each aspect with your BFCI Co-ordinator to ensure you focus on the areas applicable to your service(s).