New Zealand Breastfeeding Alliance
The New Zealand Breastfeeding Alliance (NZBA) is a collaborative of breastfeeding member organisations including:
- Hospital maternity managers
- Māori organisations
- Pasifika providers
- Medical groups
- Lactation consultants
- Whānau Āwhina Plunket
- Parent Centre
- La Leche League.
NZBA was established in 1998 to promote, protect and support breastfeeding in New Zealand, and is funded by the Ministry of Health to manage the Baby Friendly Initiative (BFI) programmes for hospitals and communities, including awarding accreditation certificates.
NZBA fully supports the National Breastfeeding Strategy for New Zealand Aotearoa | Rautaki Whakamana Whāngote, and its aim to protect, promote and support breastfeeding in New Zealand Aotearoa.
Other ways NZBA helps to protect breastfeeding in NZ include (but are not limited to):
- providing independent advice and coordinating breastfeeding strategies for New Zealand
- providing national advocacy for projects and initiatives that support, promote and improve breastfeeding rates in New Zealand
- supporting the WHO's International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes and subsequent relevant World Health Assembly Resolutions
- advocating for the implementation of the Innocenti Declaration 2005 On Infant and Young Child Feeding.
- promoting member organisations that provide day-today advice on breastfeeding to the community
- promoting information on infant feeding through the baby friendly website and Facebook page